The Bar is having to embrace and manage change as it has never done before. Competition is such that individuals as well as chambers are having to reinvent themselves and adapt to the changing circumstances around them.
Coaching and mentoring can help develop direction for people and organisations, especially those involved in implementing change.
What is coaching about?
● focus ● non-directive development ● improving performance and developing skills and direction ● identifying future possibilities and potential ● setting specific professional goals ● getting you to a solution faster ● understanding and overcoming barriers ● heightened self-awareness ● identifying what needs to change ● action
What is coaching not about?
● a sign of weakness ● “cheating” ● telling you what to do ● changing someone else
Who would benefit?
● barristers, pupils and support team managers alike – including your stars and potential stars as they build and develop their careers
Accredited to use MBTI personality type questionnaire for use with teams, to widen self-awareness, career counselling, professional and personal development, marketing, leadership training and business coaching.
Typical topics people have explored in coaching and learning sessions:
- Managing transitions through change, from mergers and structural change to moving to a new building
- Returning from maternity leave or sabbatical
- Shaping a career transition
- Looking at new ways of working
- Strategic re-shaping
- Moving into a new role e.g. senior junior to junior silk
- Mentoring and coaching through the first 100 days in new role:
- Head of Chambers / Management Committee
- Senior Clerk
- Team Leaders and Practice Group Heads
- Leadership support through major projects or initiatives
- Managing workplace conflict
- Balancing strategic and operational direction
- Matching skills to career aspirations
- Building client relationships
- Marketing skills
- Managing self and practice
- Having difficult conversations
- Maximising your performance
- Team development
- Effective meetings
- Presentation skills
Planning a new future:
- Complete career change
- “Third stage” careers