Quick update on current competitions:
- Deadline for silk has just passed ….. we saw over 60 candidates – will confirm actual number who applied in the end, once the dust has settled
- 13 April at 1pm is (new extended) deadline for 2 x competencies and Statement of Suitability for Circuit
- Track 2 HCJ selection days have started now and run until 12 April
- Track 1 selection days for HCJ have just been confirmed (4 April), with selection days from 27 April
- DHCJ results due end of April, beginning of May
- The filtering job for Recorder is getting harder and harder the more this “jinxed” competition progresses. Next stage is submission of competencies and then a Telephone Assessment – the number of candidates who will need to be filtered out at this stage is likely to be huge, so I expect the Tel Ass will need to incorporate some wider filter opportunities and will surely take a lot longer than planned (4-23 May) or need a huge number of panels to run, to deal with the 2,400-ish candidates? All will be revealed soon by the JAC I’m sure ……….
- DJ Mags deadline is 4 April
- Lord Chief Justice deadline is 27 April ……..
- Chief Bankruptcy Registrar competition delayed until 11 April
It’s a busy old time – and, as ever, if you need any help or guidance with any of these, just get in touch ……
Or maybe you’d like us to come and do a Judicial or Silk Taster?
Hear from you soon!
Deadline has now passed for this competition. Fast track to HCJ route. Process and next stages of sifting are rigorous:
- Vacancies -up to 20; about 7 to the Family Division, 5 to the Chancery Division and 8 to the Queen’s Bench Division
- Initial application based on 2 x competencies (Exercising Judgement and Assimilating and Clarifying Info) only plus a Q about a significant piece of work
- Paper shortlist for next stage
- If get through paper sift, then have telephone assessment (19/20 Jan)
- If get through telephone assessment go to Selection Day which will be an interview and role play (23-28 Feb) and submit remaining competencies – Possessing and Building Knowledge – Working and Communicating with Others – Managing Work Efficiently. 2 x independent assessors will also be contacted at this stage.
Quite a thorough and drawn out process to filter people down for what they are looking for. Good luck everyone.
(updated 13 Dec 16)
Update on current competitions:
- Spec Civ Circuit Judge – 2 x vacancies in NE – launches 23 March 16
- Dep High Court Judge s9(1) – selection days 6-14 April 16 – results end June 16
- Master of Rolls – interviews on 20 April 16
- Circuit Judge – short-listing results on 8 April – selection days 25 April – 5 May (situational Qg and competency interview) – results mid July 16
- High Court Judge – results end May 16
- DDJ Mags – launches July 16 – 18 vacancies
Get in touch if you need any help with any of these competitions.
For those not yet used to the new on-line application process, I hope the following links are helpful.
How to fill in the form and capture the “Recorder application bit” to attach to your profile:
What they expect from your stories:
General support links:
Good luck …………
The JAC have produced a video/talk on YouTube about the Recorder competition and it includes details about the QT and sift elements where it stresses that they are looking for all rounders not just technical experts in their jurisdiction.
The QT will be an on-line multiple choice test with 3 elements: legal knowledge – behavioural/judgment – critical analysis. Each will be a separate test about 30 mins long.
The new second sift will be an on-line written assessment with a word limit (based on a case study) and a review of your self-assessment form – details of that process are still being reviewed.
2:1 ratio against vacancies for selection day which will be role play (fam/crim) where you conduct a case(s), plus a panel interview with 3 people.
They are expecting 1500 applicants for 99 posts.
Sounds like they will want 2 x professional referees and you may not have to have your HOCs as one of them.
Video link below that is well worth watching.
Launches 9 April with 23 April deadline …… although the dates seem to have disappeared off the new website again now ……