What’s coming up in the next few months?
- DHCJ s9(4) – launches 18 Jan – deadline 1 Feb. Annual competition. 20 vacancies. No previous judicial experience required
- Fee paid FTT – launches 31 Jan – deadline 14 Feb – 250 vacancies. Competition runs every 18 months
- Court of Appeal – launches 1 Feb – deadline 15 Feb – 7 vacancies from this summer. Annual competition
- Deputy DJ – launches 1 Mar – deadline 15 Mar – 300 vacancies – competition only runs every 2 years
- Circuit – launches 15 March – deadline 5 Apr – annual competition
Lots to interest everyone there. Get in touch if you’d like more information about how we can help.
And happy new year ………..
Latest update from JAC website about future appointments:
The MoJ commissions the JAC to run a selection exercise in a vacancy request setting out the number of posts, the jurisdiction and or the circuit or region. Each year the JAC jointly agrees with the MoJ, HMCTS and Judicial Office which selection exercises are to be commissioned for the following financial year.
The Forward Programme for 2017 to 2022 indicates likely future needs for recruitment. Some exercises may be generic to a particular level, such as First-tier Tribunal or Circuit Judge, rather than specific to a jurisdiction or location. Specific details of ad hoc requests for a selection exercise, for example from other government departments, will be published as soon as possible before the exercises are launched.
- Senior appointments: Court of Appeal Justice, High Court Judge
- Courts: Circuit Judge, District Judge, Authorisation to sit as Deputy High Court Judge section 9(4), Authorisation to act as Deputy High Court Judge section 9(1), Recorder, Deputy District Judge
Every 18 months
- Tribunals: Salaried Judge of the Upper Tribunal, Deputy Judge of the Upper Tribunal, Salaried Judge of the First-tier Tribunal, Fee-paid Judge of the First-tier Tribunal
Every 2 years
- Courts: District Judge (magistrates’ courts), Deputy District Judge (magistrates’ courts)
Quick update on current competitions:
- Deadline for silk has just passed ….. we saw over 60 candidates – will confirm actual number who applied in the end, once the dust has settled
- 13 April at 1pm is (new extended) deadline for 2 x competencies and Statement of Suitability for Circuit
- Track 2 HCJ selection days have started now and run until 12 April
- Track 1 selection days for HCJ have just been confirmed (4 April), with selection days from 27 April
- DHCJ results due end of April, beginning of May
- The filtering job for Recorder is getting harder and harder the more this “jinxed” competition progresses. Next stage is submission of competencies and then a Telephone Assessment – the number of candidates who will need to be filtered out at this stage is likely to be huge, so I expect the Tel Ass will need to incorporate some wider filter opportunities and will surely take a lot longer than planned (4-23 May) or need a huge number of panels to run, to deal with the 2,400-ish candidates? All will be revealed soon by the JAC I’m sure ……….
- DJ Mags deadline is 4 April
- Lord Chief Justice deadline is 27 April ……..
- Chief Bankruptcy Registrar competition delayed until 11 April
It’s a busy old time – and, as ever, if you need any help or guidance with any of these, just get in touch ……
Or maybe you’d like us to come and do a Judicial or Silk Taster?
Hear from you soon!